Sunday, March 20, 2016

Week 6 Updates

Hello Readers,

Sorry for the late post. This is for last week. I'll just give a very brief overview of what I did.

I wrote a naive implementation of the Page Rank algorithm in a Java program utilizing Spark's libraries. I plan to test it using a small set of sample web pages. I will run it on Amazon Web Services (AWS) EC2 servers. I made an AWS account recently and basically it allows you to use virtual servers for use in development, computation, storage, and networking. As long as you stay under 750 hours/month, it is free for the first year of use.

I also wrote a naive implementation of a simple word count program in Java that also utilizes Spark, but this was more for getting familiar with Spark in Java than it was for the actual project. The word count program is Spark's 'Hello World' program.

Finally, I worked on resolving certain issues within my Virtual Box that pertained to importing an AWS security key into my local disk in order to be able to run instances of EC2 servers from a program.

Anyway, if you have any questions or comments please feel free to leave a comment below and I will try to get back to you as soon as possible. Same goes for any clarification of topics or concepts.

Thanks for reading and have a great day!

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Farhan! One of the key uses of software technology today lies in the marriage of powerful web services with a powerful, rich and interactive mobile client to solve problems and offer useful services to the customer. Good job so far in working with web services. Using Java (or rather the android platform) may be you could make a mobile client app to utilize those web services?

    On my next comment, I would like to discuss possible use cases in the real world which provide a solution to a problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mrs. Jay!
      You make a very good point about modern technology. I wholeheartedly agree that mobile software and web services go hand in hand to provide a user with the best experience. Unfortunately, however, I have not planned to create a mobile app in my current project, but this is definitely something to pursue in later work. I do have some experience with programming Android applications, so this would not be an unrealistic idea.

      Delete
  3. Hi Farhan! Your project looks great!

    Is this project your first experience using Linux?

    ReplyDelete