Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Week 2 Quick Update

Hi everybody!

A couple of days ago, I downloaded the Oracle VM VirtualBox. This is a type of virtual machine, which is essentially a program that emulates a computer and stores information on an allocated area of your disk. On this Virtual Machine, I downloaded Ubuntu, which I will use as the Operating System (OS) on my Virtual Machine (VM). Ubuntu us a Debian-based (meaning it is a Unix-like OS) Linux OS. It is an open source software platform. The Virtual Machine basically puts Windows users and Linux Users on the same page in terms of Operating System.

Within this Virtual Machine, I downloaded the Spark Scheduling System. Because Spark's native language is Scala, which is built with Java, I needed to install Oracle Java 7 in order to utilize Spark's resources. After installing Java, I also needed to install Scala.

To ensure that Spark had successfully installed, I wrote a very simple program in Scala, that would find the quote "To be, or" in the text file of Hamlet. In addition, I wrote a small program that counted word frequency and produced the top 20 occurrences. 

Over the next few weeks, I hope to learn more about Virtual Machines and Scala, in addition to the Spark System.

As always, if you have any questions or comments, feel free to leave a comment below and I will try to get back to you as soon as possible. 

Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Farhan, do you think you could explain what a Linux OS is? I have a general idea of what it is, but could you go into a little more detail? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Farhan, do you think you could explain what a Linux OS is? I have a general idea of what it is, but could you go into a little more detail? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linux is basically one-type of software that you could download for your PC to run on. It is like a different kind of iOS with different features. The Operating System of a device runs on the hardware, and is typically required for application to run on it. Linux is an open-source software, which means that users are free to use, copy, study, and change the software in any way, and that users can voluntarily improve the software design. Linux is also the leading OS on servers and other high capacity, high traffic systems, but not as much on PCs.

    I hope that answers your question. Feel free to leave another comment for further clarification. :)

    ReplyDelete